Track Men Top Princeton, 84-55, In Muddy Going

By Michael S. Lottman

The varsity track team defeated Princeton, 84 to 55, just before sinking into the scenery here Saturday. Tom Blodgett tallied 18 points with three firsts and a second to pace the Crimson.

Three varsity performers set meet records in the goo. Ted Bailey won the hammer at 135 ft. 7 in. and Rick deLone threw the shot 52 ft. 7 1/4 in. for two meet marks. Captain Fred Howard valiantly slogged through the freshman track to a record 1:54.7 victory in the 330.

The Stadium cinders were almost completely submerged Saturday afternoon, and the track events had to be transferred to the freshman oval. Nobody wanted to risk sprinting around a turn, so the 220 and the 220 low hurdles were run on the 200-yard straightaway.

Blodgett took the 120 high hurdles in a respectable 15.3 and won the abbreviated 200 low hurdles in 22.4. Back in the Stadium he was first in the broad jump at 21 ft. 2 1/2 in., and second in the pole vault behind Tiger sensation Charlie Mitchell.

Dick Edmunds of Princeton was a double winner fighting off a determined effort by Larry Repsher and Don Kirkland in a 49-9 440 and taking the 200 in 20.0. Edmunds also led the Tigers' mile relay team to victory in 3:24.0.

The Crimson's Frank Yeoman's, the cover boy on this week's program, came to life with a 10.2 win over Tiger Ken Melrose in the 100. He also was a close second to Edmunds in the 200.

Tiger Freshmen Win

Princeton's freshmen edged the Yardlings 73 1/2 to 66 1/2. Eddie Mechan captured the mile, 880, and two-mile for the Crimson, and Tom Holcombe got off a fine 181 ft., 11 in. toss to take the javelin.

Meanwhile, at the Penn Relays, Yale demonstrated that an undefeated season for the Crimson is no foregone conclusion. In terrible weather, the Elis won the distance medley on Friday and the sprint medley on Saturday.

Splits in the distance medley were Jim Stack, 1:52.9 in the 1:52.9; Jay Luck, 48.4 in the 440; Tommy Carroll, 3:02.1 in the 1320; and Bobby Mack, 4:10.5 in the mile. Carroll also reeled off the 880 segment of the spring medley in 1:51.2.