Chapman Backs Loeb Professionalism

Problems of the Loeb: III

By Michael S. Lottman

Although students and some Faculty members criticize the enforced professionalism of the Loeb Drama Center, Robert H. Chapman, the director, refuses to join in the protest. "All arts, extracurricular or not, should oblige the student to reach higher than he can easily go--beyond casual limitations," he says.

Almost everybody would agree with Chapman when he says that "because the building is made of theatrical work, one tends to forgive less." But Chapman sees nothing wrong with this: "The seriousness and responsibility the Loeb encourages are important in any line, even if the students don't become professional actors and directors."

There was considerable debate in the Harvard Dramatic Club over whether the members wanted Chapman to direct their production of The White Devil next fall. Comments Chapman: students have "less to be learned from making mistakes themselves than from Faculty supervision."

The Loeb's new assistant director will also want to take charge of a show, Chapman says; "Someone has to direct, and I don't want to do more than one show per term or per year."

Chapman seems to feel that Faculty supervision is called for on the main stage because the ranks of students directors will be thin next year, but he does not think that increased Faculty participation will inhibit the progress of a new crop. The Experimental Theatre is usually open, he notes.

At Princeton, he points out, a professional company puts on plays on the big stage, while student drama, in the 220-seat Theatre Intime, still goes on. "That is not exactly what we should aim for," he says, but he sees definite advantages in such an arrangement.

Students have charged that the Faculty Committee has an unreasonable projudice against having musical productions in the Loeb. They point out that the Gilbert and Sullivan Players were unhappy in the Loeb, and that Pal Joey was discouraged from applying.

Objections to Musicals

Chapman objects to the high cost of musicals, and in the tone you hear certain Southerners say, "Would you want your daughter to marry a Negro?" he asks, "Should our largest production be a musical?" But Chapman says he keeps his tastes to himself, and that "there should be a musical in the Loeb next year."

He questions, however, whether people can be found to staff a large production. "Harvard and Radcliffe people deserted their roles in Caucasian Chalk Circle. They won't do costumes, and won't play small roles. There have been cases where students would rather go to cocktail parties."

But Chapman has tried to help the students, often against the implacable tyranny of the Department of Buildings and Grounds. He has sent a letter to the Department about acoustical padding for the main auditorium's walls, and has ordered extra keys for the building--with no result as yet.

The feeling is that, given some real power, Chapman might become in some areas the champion of the students. But a fundamental controversy--whether the Loeb is a University showplace or a student theatre--is still unresolved