Golfers Finish Second In EIGA Play-Offs; Yale Takes Fifth

By C. BOYDEN Gray

The Crimson golf team took the East by complete surprise this weekend and finished an unexpected second out of a field of 16 teams in the Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Association Championships at New Haven.

Princeton, who won with an excellent score of 774, was the pre-tournament favorite, but nobody had given a thought to the varsity, whose top five scores put it in second place with a 787 over Navy's 788 and Syracuse's 789. The Yale Bulldogs, after defeating the Crimson Wednesday, lost on their own course Saturday and came in fifth with a 793.

Dartmouth, Penn, Holy Cross, and Pittsburgh, the EIGA defending champion, were among the 11 other teams strung out behind the five front runners.

Bruce Johnstone, playing in the number three spot, combined a 74 and a 79 for a 36-hole aggregate of 153 to lead the Crimson golfers. His 153 was good enough to tie for sixth in the individual scoring and to qualify for the individual match play championship to be completed today. As one of 16 qualifiers, Johnstone was eliminated yesterday morning by Pittsburg's Dermit, who was second in the individual scoring with a 149. Charles Walker of Syracuse was top man in the tournament with a 146.

Captain Fiske Warren, in the number one position, and George Duffy at number two, followed Johnstone, both hitting double rounds of 79 for a 36-hole total of 158. Al Lipsky at four and John Livingood at five shot a 160 and a 162 respectively to round out the top five scores.

Warren Misses Individuals

Perhaps the only disappointment for the varsity in the championship was Warren's failure to qualify for the individual play-offs. The Crimson captain hit the wrong ball in his last round for a two-stroke penalty, which was enough to eliminate him from the top 16.