Lightweights Down Yale, Princeton To Retain Big Three Rowing Title

By Rudolf V. Ganz jr.

The Crimson lightweights swept all three races from Yale and Princeton Saturday on the Housatonic River to retain the Goldthwait Cup for the fourth straight year.

For the varsity the victory was anything but an easy one, as the crews battled for the lead all the way. There was never more than half a length separating the three boats.

At the finish the Crimson nosed out Yale by a decklength for a first place clocking of 6:30.3. The Bulldogs followed in 6:31, with Princeton taking third in 6:32.

The varsity needed a higher stroke for the race than it has used previously this season. Opening with a furious sprint of 44, the lights settled to a 34 for the body of the mile and five-sixteenths course, and rose to a 43 pace across the finish line.

The Varsity boatings were Ted Wandel (bow), Bill Adler (2), Captain Dave Richards (3), Jim Miller (4), Mike Harde (5), Jon French (6), Francis Blake (7), Tony Goodman (stroke), and John Kearney (cox).

The J.V.'s had little trouble in their race, cruising to first place by more than a length over Yale, with Princeton trailing the Elis for third.

In the freshman contest the Crimson jumped to an early lead to leave second-place Princeton more than two lengths in their wake as they crossed the wire in 6:56. Yale finished third, a length behind the Tigers.

Emblematic of Big Three rowing supremacy among the lightweight crews, the Goldthwait Cup was presented in 1925 by Kimball Prince, captain of the 1924 crew, and awarded retroactively to 1922.