History and Lit Seeks Junior Year in Europe

Committee Will Present Request to Faculty; Other Departments' Proposals May Follow

The Committee on Degrees in History and Literature will present a motion to the Faculty meeting today which, if passed, will extend the privilege of the junior year abroad to concentrators in History and Literature.

H. Stuart Hughes, Professor of History and chairman of the committee, said yesterday that the question of foreign study will be reopened and that other departments may request the same opportunities for their concentrators.

Hughes said that he would be "very surprised" if the motion did not pass since it was an effort to grant students equal opportunities.

At present, under provisions of a measure passed in 1952, only undergraduates concentrating in Romance or Germanic Languages and Literatures, and Linguistics combined with a Romance or Germanic language are allowed to study in foreign universities for credit towards graduation.

If the motion is passed, History and Literature concentrators in Romance or Germanic fields will be able to apply for the privilege.

Only honor candidates on the Dean's List for one term of their sophomore year will be eligible for consideration. They must be recommended to the College's Administrative Board by the Committee on Degrees in History and Literature.

Students will be permitted to study abroad only as members of a "regularly organized study group under the auspices of an American institution acceptable to the Administrative Board," according to stipulations of the original motion. This presently includes study at the Universities of Hamburg, Munich, Florence, Paris, and Madrid.

The rules which presently govern the Romance Languages, German and Linguistics concentrators will also restrict the History and Literature students.

Only Two Requests

Professor Hughes noted that there have been only two requests for foreign study this year and said he did not expect that the program would involve more than two or three students each year. He hopes that the policy will go into effect by next year.

At the same meeting this afternoon, the Faculty will also discuss a proposal to establish tutorial for Chemistry Honor candidates.

The question of diplomas may again be considered if Faculty members respond to the requests of Senior Class Marshals. Letters were sent to all members of the Faculty requesting that the Latin diploma be given a "stay of execution."