Baseball Team Faces Dartmouth In Try for Second Eastern Win

By Steven V. Roberts

After being rained out of two games last weekend, the varsity baseball team will attempt a doubleheader this afternoon at Soldiers Field at 3 p.m. The Crimson will battle the capricious New England spring in the first game, and if successful, Dartmouth in the second.

Coach Norm Shepard will start either Roy Williams or Al Yarbro against the Indians as the Crimson tries for its second win in the Eastern Intercollegiate League. Dartmouth is 3-3 in the league, one game above Harvard's 1-3 record.

Williams pitched eight innings in beating Holy Cross two weeks ago, and Shepard was very pleased with the sophomore righthander's work, since it was his first start of the year. Yarbro, the other possibility, has not pitched since his reinstatement to the team over a week ago.

Lineup Unchanged

The remainder of the lineup should remain the same as in recent games, with Phil Bernstein at first base, Al Martin at second, Mike Drummey at third, and Dave Morse at short. The outfield is Charlie Ravenel in left, Shima in center, and Billy Rodgers in right. The catcher is Dick Diehl.

Unofficial statistics show that every member of the Crimson starting team is hitting over .300, except Ravenel, and the team batting average is a rather unbelievable .315.

The coaches in the Greater Boston League yesterday announced the selection of Dick Shima and Tom Boone to the League's All-Star Team. Shima finished third in the GBL with a .393 batting average, and headed the League in triples with three. All of them were hit in last week's 26-2 win over Brandeis.

Boone has pitched only three games this year, but all have been victories over GBL opponents. A lefthander, Boone pitched complete games against Boston University and MIT, and five innings against Brandeis.