Varsity Nine Tops Indians

By Steven V. Roberts

The varsity baseball team got some timely hitting from Charlie Ravenel, Al Marin, and Dick Diehl, good pitching from Al Yarbro and Tom Boone, and a few key errors from the Dartmouth infield as it defeated the Indians, 8-6, at Soldiers Field yesterday.

The Crimson got most of its good hitting in the first inning, when it scored five times. Martin drove in two runs with a bases loaded single, and Ravenel brought in one more with a triple as Harvard routed Indian starter Bib Van Dam with four hits, two walks, and a sacrifice fly.

The good pitching came in the first seven innnings from Yarbro, and in the ninth from Boone. Yarbro, the eventual winner, held Dartmouth to six hits and three runs in the first seven, but loaded the bases with no outs in the eighth.

Indians Score Three

Boone relieved him and struck out the first batter; but a walk, sacrifice fly, and a single off Boone's leg brought in three runs before the end of the inning. The lefthander set the side down in the ninth with only a walk.

The help from the Dartmouth infield came in the sixth, when the Crimson scored its other three runs. Phil Bernstein's hit, an error on a sacrifice, Diehl's single, a wild pitch, a sacrifice fly by Yarbro, and another error on a throw from the outfield accounted for the three unearned runs.

Since the rained-out games with Army and Brown will not be replayed, the Crimson will play its final game before the exam period against Yale Saturday at Soldiers Field. It will play Amherst and Yale again after the break.