City Council Considers Diplomas, Dogs

By Peter S. Britell

Talk of diplomas, riots, and dogs, and the revelation that Cambridge has had no parking laws at all for two looks highlighted the annual Student Government Day at the City Council yesterday.

As students from secondary schools throughout the city sat in as counterparts for city officials, Mayor Edward Crane '25 and student mayor Robert of Rindge Technical High school each had to rule on motions concerning the recent "diploma" riots the College.

A resolution urging Harvard to reconsider the proposed change from Latin to English passed the body with only councilor Joseph A. DeGuglieimo opposed. Introduced by Patrick of Boys' Vocational and Councilor Alfred M. Vellucci, the motion requested the College to give graduating seniors the right to vote on the proposal.

Since the student mayor had passed on the resolution, it was not actually valid. Later on, however, Councilor Walter J. Sullivan easily pushed through a motion directing the City Manager to meet with the President and Fellows about the possibility of confining future riots to the Yard or the Stadium and about University reimbursement to the city.

"The annual spring riots...are a menace to the peace...of Cambridge residents and an invitation to criminals of all sorts who would loot an unprotected city," Sullivan said. He asserted that during the riots almost 90 per cent of the police force was on duty in the Square, with the result that the rest of Cambridge lay open to lawlessness.

Since the Legislature recently placed both Boston and Cambridge on a home rule basis, the city has had no parking ordinance since April 21. To restore order, the Council voted to publish the former fine schedule a legal necessity, with a view to adopting it in the near future.

Talk turned to the art of dogcatching when the Council had to act on a 31,000 reimbursement for Mrs. Sally Nevins, Dog Officer. When Vellucci raised a question about the raise, City Manager John J. Curry '19 observed that Mrs. Nevins had been instrumental in increasing the number of licensed dogs in the city.

"Do you know how many dogs she picked up in 1960?" asked Vellucci. "I get all sorts of reports about dogs," Curry replied.