City Passes Parking Ordinance; DeGuglielmo Scores Consultants

By Peter S. Britell

The City Council yesterday passed, 6 to 3, a new parking ordinance and heard Councilor Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29 strongly dispute a Boston consulting firm's conclusion that Cambridge lacks leadership.

According to Councilor Pearl K. Wise, the new, somewhat stiffer parking ordinance represents "a happy compromise" between its predecessor and a more severe fine schedule, proposed in April, which died in the committee on ordinances. Voting against the new law were Councilors Thomas M. McNamara, Walter J. Sullivan, and Alfred E. Velucci.

Violators must now pay $5 for each offense when parking within ten feet of a hydrant, within 20 feet of an intersection, or within the properly defined limits of a bus stop. For all other offenses (parking overtime at a meter, etc.), offenders must pay $1, $2, $3, $4, and $5 respectively for the first five violaitons. Thereafter, the fine is $5 for every offense.

No Leadership

DeGuglielmo spoke in response to criticism by Newsome and Co., a consulting firm which recently completed a study in February for the Citizen's Advisory Committee and found that Cambridge lacks "vigorous, dedicated leadership."

In his defense, the Councilor pointed out among other things: that the tax base has increased $35 million since 1952; that city employees have had five pay raises, while taxes per capita have diminished; and that U.S. Senator Benjamin Smith only recently congratulated Cambridge on its progress in urban renewal.

Before speaking, DeGuglielmo said he had tried to discover the qualifications of those conducting the study. However, the firm had refused to send him names or biographical sketches.

As a final answer to Newsome and Co., DeGuglielmo declared, "We have been the most vigilant, most active, and most progressive municipality in this part of the United States."