Mullin Faces Paranya in IC4A: Varsity to Figure in Team Race

By Michael S. Lottman

The expected battle between Mark Mullin and Spike Paranya of Wesleyan in the mile could be the highlight of the IC4A meet at Randalls Island today and tomorrow. The Crimson's Stan Doten should take first in the hammer throw, as the varsity bids for a high finish in the Eastern championships.

When Mullin and Paranya clash Saturday, the race will have attained the status of a grudge match, thanks mostly to the Boston papers. Paranya doesn't get much competition--or publicity--most of the season at Wesleyan, and he looks upon the IC4A's as a chance to prove himself.

Last week, while Mullin was beating Yale's Bobby Mack in a 4:09.5 mile and up-setting Tommy Carroll with a 1:52.3 880, Paranya won the New England mile crown at 4:10.5 and the 880 title at 1:52.4. Thus the stage was set for the IC4A's.

Mullin, of course, has run the fastest mile in the East this year, a 4:07.1 in the Heps. (Dyrol Burleson of Oregon turned in the nation's fastest collegiate mile this week, a fabulous 3:57.6) Paranya, it should be noted, was a sprinter in high school, and has been timed at 21.5 for the 220. In other words, he has a kick. Mullin and Paranya may try to come back in the 880.

Should Win Hammer

Doten, whose best toss to date is 197 ft., 8 1/2 in., should take the hammer with ease, and his three teammates-- Ted Bailey, Roger Wilson, and Art Doten--could give the Crimson an unprecedented near-sweep of the event.

Captain Fred Howard is almost certain to score in the 880, and just might win. Marty Beckwith, who set a school record of 6 ft., 4 in. against Yale and has been jumping all over the place in practice, should place in the high jump.

Yale Meet Hero to Pole Vault

Tom Blodgett, one of the heroes of the Yale meet, will concentrate on the pole vault in an attempt to break the Harvard record of 13 ft., 11 3/4 in.

Sarge Nichols, Steve Cohen, and Rick deLone might manage to place in the shot put, especially if one or more of them can get over 54 ft. John Bronstein is a threat in the discus, and Jed Fitzgerald might figure in the three-mile.

Other Crimson entrants will be Al Al-bright, Larry Repsher, Don Kirkland, Gus Schumacher, Ed Hamlin, and Bob Knapp.

Members of the Harvard-Yale squad that will meet Oxford-Cambridge June 13 in the Stadium have been announced. One spot in the high hurdles is still to be decided among three Yalies, and the shot put places will go to two of the Harvard threesome. Beckwith and Elis Sam Strelbert and Bill Flippin will be competing for the two high jump positions at the IC4A's.

The rest of the team: 100: Luck (Y) and Frank Yeomans (H); 220: Dave Bain (Y) and Repsher (H); 120 hurdles: Blodgett (H); 220 hurdles: Luck (Y) and Blodgett (H); 440: Jim Stack (Y) and Repaher (H); 880: Carroll (Y) and Howard (H); mile: Mullin (H) and Hamlin (H); two-mile: Mack (Y) and Fitzgerald (H); hammer: Doten (H) and Bailey (H); broad jump: Chris Ohiri (H, and the only freshman named) and Jim Axtell (Y); pole vault: Blodgett (H) and Oukley Andrews (Y); discus: Bronstein (H) and Mike Pyle (Y); and Javelin: John Livingston (Y) and Henry Hallas (Y)