Cuban Rebel Chief Says Underground Can Depose Castro Without U.S. Aid

By Rudolf V. Ganz jr.

Cuban counter-revolutionaries can erthrow the Castro regime without p from the United States, Manolo ay declared last night at the Winthrop ouse Forum.

A member of the Cuban Revolutionary ncil, Ray is the founder of the Revo-onary Movement of the People (MRP), eftist Cuban underground organization. was reportedly spurned by the CLA being "too far to the left" to lead the ent invasion.

After the 26th of July movement in 7 Ray served as Minister of Public rks in the Castro government until vember of 1959. Then, he said, he "be-me worried about the Communist in-nces in the government and the loss freedom of the press." When Castro k control of the University of Havana, re Ray was a professor, he went erground and began to organize the P.

According to Ray, "nobody in Cuba any doubt" that the government is ng run by Communists. He named oul Castro, Che Cuevara, and the heads the National and International Banks prominent Communists.

arty members, he said, monopolize all key government positions, and the non-Communists in the Cabinet are more than closely-watched puppets.

ay cited numerous examples of how tro's government is falling to carry successful economic reforms and is losing the support of the orginial revolutionaries. Since the industries were nationalized, he said, production has been thrown into chaos, and the standard of living is once again going down. Ray maintained that the industries should be returned to their former owners, though with tight controls to prevent monopolies.

Ray does not blame the U.S. for Cuba's swing toward Communism. "No U.S. policy could have changed what has happened in Cuba," he insisted. Cubans who come to this country to seek aid "practically had to sew up their pockets to keep the U.S. from putting checks in them." But Castro refused all government aid, insisting that he would take money only from private U.S. banks--because he was certain no private bank would risk economic support to the revolutionaries, Ray maintained.

Ray does not discourage U.S. aid to the MRP, despite friction between him and the CIA. "We'll accept arms from anybody, anything except American troops," he declared.