Varsity Nine Faces Powerful B.C. Today

The Crimson baseball varsity will take an offense with a team batting average close to .300 and a pitching staff that has not lived up to its pre-season promise to Boston College today for a Greater Boston League game.

The Eagles are undefeated in GBL play, and reportedly have one of the strongest teams in New England. Coach Norm Shepard will start Tom Boone, who defeated Boston University in his last start, and has been impressive in work-outs.

A win for the Crimson would give them a 3-1 record only a half-game behind B.C. in the race for the pennant they have won four of the last six years under Shepard.

Besides the inconsistency of the pitchers, the rest of the team has been solid. Mike Drummey has filled a weak spot at third base, and the rest of the infield is playing well. No less than seven regulars are hitting over. 300, and several others a good deal higher than that.

If the pitchers can start getting the ball over the plate--and avoid having it hit too hard, too often--the Crimson can still have a chance for the title.