Bainbridge Describes Difference In Russian Reception After Cuba

By Gerald R. Davidson

A University physics professor who spent two weeks in Russia last month under the Harvard-Leningrad exchange program received a "courteous and very friendly" reception--at least until the Cuban invasion began.

"In conversation, in courtesy at the laboratories, and in providing me with a farewell dinner," University of Leningrad personnel were friendly throughout his visit, remarked Kenneth T. Bainbridge, George Vasmer Leverett Professor of Physics, who returned to Cambridge last week.

Once the Cuban trouble began, Russians outside the University--from elevator operators to Moscow subway riders--were "perceptively cooler."

During his April visit, Bainbridge participated in three colloquia, lecturing at each for two hours straight (as is customary in the U.S.S.R.) and then staying to answer questions for another hour. He spoke on mass spectrometry, his specialty, and radioactivity.

One bonanza for scientists is Russia, Bainbridge pointed out, is the availability of inexpensive texts. He could have purchased a Russian transistion of a standard American --with all the mistakes of the American edition corrected--for only $3.30. A poorly-made pair of shoes would have cost $27, however.

Stresses Program's Value

Reflecting on the value of the exchange program, Bainbridge noted that it helps scientists in each country to take advantage of specialized work done in the other. "We have asked for specific people to come over here; they have asked for specific people to go over there," he explained. "Science lives on such free discussion and exchanges of information."

Bainbridge also termed it "important that Russians and Americans don't just glare at each other, but that they talk to each other and try to see what the other man's point of view in."

Stresses Program's Value