Council Chooses Seven To Plan Reorganization

By Steven V. Roberts

The Student Council last night directed a special seven-member committee on re-organization to formulate a plan whereby the Council members would include one representative elected at large from each House, one appointed by each House Committee, and four freshmen.

According to a resolution adopted by the Council, the main purpose of the re-organized group would be "to effectively represent the students in college, administrative, and educational issues."

The resolution emphasized that a new Council should co-ordinate all college activities, carry out service projects that don't appeal to other groups, and advise a new organizations.

After last night's Council meeting, the Quincy House delegation resigned in protest of what it called "no real action" on re-organization.

Thomas E. Petri '62, secretary of the Council, J. Eugene Marans '63, and Corneilus J. Minihan '63 said that they hoped their resignation would prompt the Council to conduct a college-wide referendum about re-organization "as soon as possible."

The recommendations approved by the Council will guide the special committee, which consists of three Council members, three House Committee chairmen, and a former Council member. The committee was appointed by Council President Howard J. Phillips '62.

Acting under Council direction, the committee will consider the two major plans already proposed--one by the Dunster House Committee, the other by Eugene H. Zagat '61 and Roger M. Leed '61--and any other suggestions from undergraduates. The plans will then be formulated into a constitutional amendment requiring the appreval of two-thirds of both the Council and the undergraduate student body.

Monday is the last day on which a referendum may be proposed during this school year since 14 days not including exam periods must pass before the student body votes on the amendment.

It is probable, therefore, that any definite action along the lines proposed last night would have to be deferred until next year.