Late Changes Said to Delay Arts Building

Drawings Overdue For Consideration

Plans for the new Visual Arts Center, due long ago, still have not been sent to the Corporation for consideration. The drawings by the French architect LeCorbusier, have been in Cambridge since early winter.

Late changes in the plans have reportedly caused the delay. An informant close to the project promised that the plans would be "controversial."

To Cost $1.5 Million

The $1.5 million Center was to be built between the Faculty Club and the Fogg Museum by the Fall of 1962. President Pusey has not given up hope that construction will be completed on the time but admitted "It will be much harder to finish the building by then."

Because of the delay, the ground-breaking for the building, originally scheduled for this summer, will not take place until at least mid-Fall.

Pusey said that he had hoped to have the plans presented to the Corporation at its meeting last Monday. The Fellows do not meet again until next Monday.

"Must Grow From Inside"

LeCorbusier visited the site in the Fall of 1959 and said of the Visual Arts Center, "It must grow from the inside, without pretentiousness in the facade." Some unconfirmed reports have said that the building will have several non-perpendicular walls and plenty of glass.

In the United States for three days during April, LeCorbusier received the gold medal of the American Institute of Architects at a Philadelphia banquet. The noted architect also was honored with a Doctor of Humane Letters degree by Columbia University.

The Center will be named for the donors, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred St. Vrain Carpenter, of Medford, Ore.