New Admissions Director to Fill Henry's Position

By Michael S. Lottman

A 29-year-old Minneapolis newspaper man will become Director of Admissions in Harvard College on July 1, succeeding David D. Henry '41.

Humphrey Doermann '52, an administrative assistant on the Minneapolis Star and Tribune, will be in charge of the Office of Admissions, one of the three branches under the supervision of Dean Glimp. Henry resigned in order to devote full time to the African Scholarship Program of American Universities.

Doermann was an assistant to the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aids in 1955-56, and received his MBA from the Business School in 1958. He first reported farm and education news for the Minneapolis paper, then moved to the business office.

Since 1958, Doermann has been active on the schools and scholarship committee of the Harvard Club of Minnesota, which has in recent years been one of the most efficient and productive alumni groups in the College's admissions operation.

Doermann has been involved in experiments with a new type of depth interviewing this year. According to a longtime acquaintance, he "represents 100 per cent the policy set down by Dean Bender," in that he advocates the philosophy of balance in the College. "He doesn't want all-around boys, but outstanding individuals whose talents lie in various fields."

The new Director is expected to work closely with Harvard clubs across the nation.