Rugby Team Beats Princton, 15-3 For Its First Victory This Season

Two tough losses to Brown and Yale had to take the place of a spring trip this year, but the Harvard Rugby Club has finally come through. The first fifteen downed Princeton 15 to 3 in Saturday's away contest, for its first victory of the season.

Despite the loss of two starters, the definitely improved team had no trouble dominating the game with the Tigers, who are ranked above the Crimson in the First Division of the Eastern Rugby Union.

Captain Dick Baker, playing his first game since a recent neck injury forced him out of action, set up Harvard's first score of the game. With ten minutes elapsed in the first half, Baker grabbed the ball and tossed to center Bill Mares, who cut to beneath the posts for the three-point tally. A successful conversion boosted the Crimson total to five.

Play continued in the Harvard half of the field until center Charlie Rowe broke away and passed to wing Stan Greenspan, who easily scored his first goal of the game. Again the Crimson kick was good.

Princeton avoided a shut-out just as half was ending. Blocking a Harvard kick deep in Crimson territory. Princeton forwards fell on the ball for the score when it rolled behind the goal-line. The conversion failed, however, and the half-time score stood at 10-3.

Greenspan Dodges Defense

The Rowe-Greenspan combination provided the main excitement of the second half. With fifteen minutes gone Greenspan picked up a Rowe kick at midfield and dodged spectacularly through the Princeton defense in a 50-yard dash for Harvard's last score. The conversion, monotonously good, ended the afternoon's scoring.

Harvard lost both its first two games by one-goal margins. Two weeks ago Yale wrapped up its victory in the last minute, and in last week's game at Providence, Brown's second half score was the only tally in a grim 5-0 defeat for the Crimson.

The first fifteen will take on a tough, as usual, M.I.T. squad tomorrow afternoon. Saturday should provide a breather against inexperienced Wesleyan.