800 Seek Seats In Soc. Sci. 8

Eight hundred students last Saturday bid for places in Social Sciences 8, the General Education Office reported yesterday. Over a hundred were turned away, and 216 applicants were placed on a waiting list.

The lower level psychology course, which was limited to 150 last year, had prepared for 400 students. Within half an hour after the doors of Mem Hall opened, the quota had been filled.

"We were ready to close shop," said bead section woman Mary J. Ashner, "but the students kept coming. Frankly, we were flabbergasted."

On Tuesday morning Burr Lecture Hall looked like a repeat of last Spring's Diploma Riots. Enrollees and other hopefuls jammed the entrance until 20 minutes after the hour when the doors were closed.

Inside the stuffy lecture hall, Jerome S. Bruner, professor of Psychology, informed students that Soc. Sci. 8 would henceforth meet in Lowell Lecture Hall, forum of such frontrunners as Hum 5, Gov 1, and Ec 1.

Four hundred and sixty students finally received places in the twenty sections. Instructors and the Gen Ed Office set the limit on the basis that 23 students per section is the operative maximum.

Apparently the biggest losers in the scramble were the Cliffies. Although Dr. Ashner said that "the boys were pretty gentlemanly in the lines," the enterprising females failed to fill their "ideal quota" of 25 per cent of the class.