'Cliffies Will Request Buffet Meals In Petition to Dean Brown Today

Fifty-One Protest Sit-Downs

By Faye Levine

More petitions. More stuff about food. Radcliffe girls will submit a petition asking for buffet-style meals during reading period to Dean Brown today.

Fifty-One Barnard Hall signatures indicate the girls' dissatisfaction with the present system of serving "sit-down" dinners Sunday noon and most weekday evenings. However, a counter petition was also posted in Barnard, with 15 girls expressing approval of the present arrangement.

Spokesman for the buffet forces, Antonia C. Kern '64, pointed out that buffet meals were usually put into effect during exam period anyway, and that it was only a matter of doing this a little earlier. Other girls questioned felt that buffet meals, to which you can come at any time within the meal hours, would be more convenient when you are studying. "Sunday lunch is so ridiculous," said one girl, "Aah, shut up," said another.

Girls in Briggs Hall, which shares a kitchen with Barnard, also raised a petition requesting buffet style Sunday dinners. However, although signed by more than 75 of the 97 girls, this petition will not be acted upon for this reading period.

Briggs President Phoebe A. Keith '62 said that there was not much real excitement about the issue. Objections on several different grounds have caused the petition to be disregarded for now.

Objections Cited

Among the objections Miss Keith cited was that buffet meals cause a certain amount of piggishness and rush. "Girls take 6 or 10 of something they would usually take one of," she said, any everyone gobbles down the food.

She also said that there was some complication with kitchen staff.

Miss Keith didn't completely squelch the proposal, however. Since it is so far into reading period already, and since most people don't really care enough to fight about the issue right now, she said that in Briggs Hall the matter would ride until spring. "I'm not about to shove that petition around now," she stated.

If the girls felt that this reading period could be greatly improved by having buffet meals, then she recommended that they begin a petition for spring reading period well in advance.