Hockey Squad Overwhelms B.U., 8-1; Varsity Nets Six Goals in First Period

By Bruce M. Reeves

The Crimson hockey team earned its exam-period rest last night in the Boston Arena as it scored six goals against Boston University in the opening period and went on to an easy 8-1 win.

As the score indicates, The Terriers were completely outclassed by the varsity and played a particularly sloppy game besides. Their stalwarts spent some 14 minutes cooling off in the penalty box while the three Crimson lines poured shots on top of goalie Glen Eberly.

Eberly, whom B. U. coach Harry Cleverly calls his "greatest" goalie in the last 20 years, managed to turn off the blinking red light behind his cage after the disastrous first. It was only a matter of pride by that time, however.

The Crimson was shooting last night and there was nothing (except B.U.'s frequent icings) that could stop it. Eleven Crimson skaters figured in the scoring with Tim Taylor, the team's high-scorer, and Bill Beckett netting two goals apiece. Others with two points during the rout were center Gene "Kimo" Kinasewich with a goal and an assist and defenseman Ron Thompson with two assists.

The best goal of the game was Tom Heintzman's drill at 3:22 of the first period. In this season's play it rates second only to Kinasewich's spectacular solo tally against Army when he took the puck up the entire rink (past four cadets) and faked out the goalie. That one won him a standing ovation.

Heintzman's goal, although it didn't get the B.U. fans at the Arena off their seats, was still very pretty to watch. Ron Thomson poked the puck into the center zone, where Heintzman picked it up between two Terrier defensemen, took it all the way in to the left of the cage and whipped it in with a backhand shot that Eberly probably never saw.

Strangely enough, the seven B.U. penalties did not help the Crimson very much. The varsity scored once with B.U. short, but that goal probably would have been put in anyway. The penalties must have been part of the Terriers' strategy, because they "legalized" B.U.'s haphazard way of clearing the puck by icings and thus killed time that the Crimson could have used to score more goals.

Until the last period, when B.U. put on its only real attack, which lasted about three minutes, the game was a boring one for Crimson goalie Godfrey Wood. Not including the three shots that bounced off the top bar of his cage, he had just 13 saves in all. The first one did not come until the middle of the opening period.

Eberly, back in action for the first time since a leg injury some weeks ago, played until the last few minutes of the game and amassed 44 stops. His successor had seven for a B.U. total of 51.

After his warm-up session in the first period, Eberly did earn some of his coach's praise by only allowing one more goal. That one was a shot that Kinasewich literally smashed through him from one foot in front of the cage following three quick shots by linemate Gerry Jorgenson. The last goal was scored by Beckett against Eberly's substitute.

For someone who likes to see the Crimson breeze through its fancy passing plays and fire away whenever the puck isn't behind the opponent's cage, the game would have been a delight. The varsity's first two lines in particular did just this last night against a very well.

The third line, although it, too, dominated play on the ice, still lacks some of the necessary finesse to outwit the opposition completely. That, of course, did not stop it, from scoring against B.U. last night. Forwards Heintzman, Dwinell, Beckett, and Bill Lamarche connected for a total of three goals and two assists.

The victory strengthened the Crimson's unofficial claim on college hockey supremacy in the East and gave it unquestioned leadership in the Boston area. This makes the varsity a solid favorite for next month's Beanpot Tournament, which is obviously a nice but dangerous honor.

The varsity will meet Boston College again in the first round on Feb. 5, after it opens its post-exam play against Cornell at Ithaca on Feb. 3. The team's record is now 9-1 in Eastern play and 11-3 overall. It is tied with Cornell for the Ivy League lead at 2-0.

In the preliminary game last night the freshman team was edged by Boston University, 2 to 1.