Radcliffe SGA Debates Advantages Of New Constitution, Name Change

College Will Hold Referendum

By Mary ELLEN Gale

The Radcliffe Student Government Association in its second try in the last two weeks, managed to get together enough members for a meeting yesterday.

The 11 representatives present argued over the wording of the revised constitution to be voted on by the student body in a referendum the first week in February.

Several voiced strong objections to the proposed new name: Radcliffe College Government Association. "There's something redundant about it," one girl volunteered. "I don't like the initials."

"Everyone will call it the SGA for three years anyway," a representative commented. "That's a terribly defeatist attitude," snapped another.

The group finally decided on Radcliffe Government Association. "R is pretty close to S," one member explained. "No one will really notice the difference."

The change in name was necessitated by a change in composition. If the new constitution passes, three Administration officials will join the College Council of the Radcliffe Government Association as voting members.

The representatives endorsed the proposal, originated by President Bunting, and acknowledged that "important decisions about running the College are the joint concern of the students and the Administration."

In connection with this suggested revision, Emily R. Otis '62, president of the SGA, reported that the Administration and the SGA have not yet decided which matters will come under the jurisdiction of the new Association and which will be handled by College officials.

Cedar Hill Conference

Student leaders and members of the Administration will probably continue discussing the problem at the semiannual Cedar Hill Conference, scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 7. At that time Miss Otis will explain the proposed constitution to a group of more than 100 undergraduates and College officials.

Another item on the Cedar Hill agenda will be the physical education requirement, abolished last fall. Members of the College physical education staff are currently compiling statistics on student participation in athletics this year as compared with past years.

The group will also discuss the College honor system, especially as it relates to sign-out rules. "Dormitory presidents are getting very upset about the number of people who have been falsifying their sign-ins and justifying their action under the honor system," Miss Otic noted.