Winter Squads Resume Action

THE SPORTING SCENE

Four home games highlight the Crimson sports scene this weekend as Harvard winter sports squads resume their season play. The basketball, track, and wrestling teams most opposition in Cambridge while the swimming and hockey teams travel to Cornell for away games.

On Friday, the basketball team comes out of two-week hibernation to take on Cornell in the LAB at 3:15 p.m., and on Saturday, Floyd Wilson's quintet faces Columbia, also in the LAB at 3:15 p.m., Eyeing a first division berth in the Ivy race, Wilson will start Denny Lynoh and Gary Borchard at forwards, Gene Augustine and Joe Dearing at guards, and sophomore Bob Inman in place of mark in Ivy play and is tied with Yale for the league lead; Columbia's Ivy record is 1-3. Harvard earlier this year lost to Cornell, 32-75, but best Columbia, 75-67.

In what should be an extremely close contest, the track team faces Army in Briggs Cake at 1 p.m. Except for the K of C meet Jan. 13, the Crimson has been idle since it defeated Manhattan Dec. 16. That, plus the fact that Army threatens Harvard in the events where the Crimson is strong--particularly in the weights and distance running-- makes the outcome anybody's guess. A few of the Crimson weight men will also compete in the B.A.A. meet Saturday afternoon at MIT. in a separate match, the freshmen will face Brown.

In the other home contest, the wrestling team takes on Columbia in the LAB at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. Harvard has a 2-2 overall record.

The hockey team, 2-0 in Ivy ply and 11-2 overall, goes after its eighth consecutive win against Cornell in an 3 p.m. contest Saturday in Ithaca. The Big Red currently leads the Ivies with a 3-3 record for six points, Harvard following in second place with its 2-0 record for four. The Crimson defeated defeated Cornell 5-1 earlier this season, but the Big Red trailed only 2-1 midway through the third period. "They gave us a good game down here," coach Cooney Weiland says, "and they are going to be tougher on their own ios. We're going to have our hands full."

In swimming, Harvard's undefeated team is a heavy favorite to beat Cornell in a 2 p.m. contest in Ithaca.

Predictions: Cornell will win the first basketball game, 32-75, but Harvard will come back and beat Columbia in the second, 75-67; the track teams will beat Army by one point; the wrestling team will be embarrassed by Columbia; the hockey team will beat Cornell, 5-1; and the swimming team will clobber Cornell.