Lowell Will Teach at University

Poet Won Pulitzer Prize in 1947

By Robert E. Smith

Poet Robert Lowell will come to the University next fall as a visiting professor in English, the Crimson has learned.

W. J. Bate, Chairman of the Department of English, would not confirm or deny the report, but other members of the Department have said that the 45-year-old poet has accepted a position here. Lowell delivered a reading from his poetry here in December and attended a reception in his honor at the Advocate, at which there was talk about his appointment.

After study at Harvard and Kenyon College, Lowell issued his first volume of poems, Land of Unlikeness, in 1944. In 1947 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Lord Weary's Castle, another collection of his works. He has also published a score of critical and autobiographical essays. He has taught at Boston University.

His appointment, after Departmental approval, must pass the Corporation and the Board of Overseers.

In a social issue in November devoted completely to Lowell, the Advocate published a description of the poet by Allen Tate, a professor at the University of Minnesota. Tate said Lowell's work "is not equalled by anybody else of his generation." "He is a poet an not an innovator on principle." A formalist and traditionalist, "he is one of our few poets, of any generation, who have a living historical sense."