Junior A---Special Case?

Sporting Scene

By Ronald I. Cohen

The name of Gene Kinasewich has once again appeared on the ineligibility list of the ECAC and the Ivy League, much to the regret of Harvard hockey. The star was ruled ineligible because he received a monetary subsidy in the Canadian Junior "A" hockey league.

In this country Kinasewich and other Junior "A" hockey players are considered to be "professional," whereas hockey associations in Canada recognize them as amateurs eligible for Olympic competition. The problem of conflicting interpretations of player status stems from the fact that the Americans do not understand problems that face the Canadian amateur hockey system.

Because of the sprawling nature of the Canadian West and the lack of high school facilities, all of the better caliber hockey playing takes place outside the high schools in amatour leagues, where subsidies for team equipment and ice practice time are more readily available. In Canada players from eight to 16 players participate on either Mosquito, Pee Wee, Bantam, or Midget teams. From this lower level of the hookey anarchy those players who are good enough to withstand the stiff competition graduate to the Juvenile ranks, in which they may remain until they reach the age of 18.

The beter players ascend to the Junior ranks, in either the "A" or "B" classification. This is the highest quality of amatour hockey in Canada.

Teams from Mosquito to Midget are sponsored by local concerns which desire to provide organized recreation and healthy competition for the youngsters of their area. The Juvenile and Junior teams are promoted and subsidized by various city athletic associations and rural civic organizations.

It stands to reason that in such a highly competitive league, where the players are so expert, many of the athletes will be interested in pursuing hockey careers. Some of these boys assuredly are recognized by the pro scouts as excellent prospects for their teams. These players are salaried by the offers of the professional teams in an effort to maintain their interest in hockey competition.

But these players are definitely in the minority, comprising perhaps two per cent of all Junior players. The majority of the athletes receive either no money or a small subsidy considered adequate to cover their living, transportation, and educational expenses.

Most Junior hockey players come from poor homes and would be unable to play without some subsidy to eliminate expenses. some boys who would normally have a job to bring in extra money to help support the family must give up their employment if they are to meet the rigorous and time-consuming hours of practice.

These players are provided with "certain monies which we construe only to be out-of-pocket expenses in connection with the fact that we compel, of necessity, practices after school and also on Saturdays and holidays," says A. J. Anderson, general manager of the Edmonton Junior team," [monies] which insofar as we were concerned were an assistance to [the player] in completing his schooling and in defraying some of his room and board expenses."

In other words, Junior "A" subsidies, like a Harvard scholarship, are awarded on the basis of need.

The time seems to have passed when athletes can afford to play the game at the top amateur levels for love alone. There is a growing feeling that to eliminate these boys from the sport they love because of the subsidies of benevolent athletic organizations would be grossly unjust.