University May Begin Demolishing Little Hall, Dudley by Next Fall

Holyoke to Be Destroyed Last

By Bruce L. Paisner

Dudley House and Little Hall may be demolished as early as next Fall to make way for the second half of the new Holyoke Center, L. Gard Wiggins, administrative vice-president, told the CRIMSON yesterday.

The University will definitely start to knock down the buildings by June 1964, but Wiggins revealed that demolition may begin about nine months ahead of schedule "if a relocation timetable can be worked out for the present occupants of Dudley and Little."

Demolition of the Alumni Records Office, the first stay of the project to complete the Holyoke Center, will definitely begin sometime this Fall. Workmen have already started to move the valuable papers and documents to the office's new location near Soldiers Field.

A two-story building will be constructed on the site of the old Alumni Records Office to house commercial establishments forced to vacate Little Hall. When this building is finished late next summer, the University will proceed "to the major job." Wiggins said.

The major relocation problem involves the students in Dudley House. Wiggins said yesterday that no new location has yet been found, but he revealed that the place to which the Dudley students are moved to make way for the demolition squads will probably not be the final location of the House.

Relocation will also be necessary for radio station WHRB, now located in the Dudley House basment. If the accelerated timetable can be implemented, WHRB may be forced to move to another basement someplace in the University.

Wiggins said that the University has made one major change in its construction program: Holyoke House on Massachusetts Ave, will not be demolished until the entire new project is completed. Twenty feet on the back of Holyoke House will, however, be lopped of to leave room for the new building.

This change will double the Cambridge Trust Company to remain at its present location throughout the contradiction and then move directly to new facilities in the second half of the Holyoke Center.

Once the bank has moved, Holyoke House will also be demolished, and additional bank offices will be constructed directly on Massachusetts Ave. The change in plans will also allow the Government Dept., Government Dept., and other University offices to remain at their present locations in Holyoke House for at least two more years