ADA Refuses to Support Teddy; Beer Attacks 'Miserable Mistake'

Samuel H. Beer, former National Chairman of the Americans for Democratic Action, denounced yesterday the "miserable mistake" the state ADA had made in not endorsing Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy '54 for U.S. Senator. Beer, professor of Government, also castigated the ADA for its "timidity" in falling to endorse Democrat Francis X. Bellotti. Bellotti is contending with Francis W. "The Corruption Fighter" Perry, a Republican, for the lieutenant governorship.

"Bellotti's a first-rater, a real go-getter," Beer said. "It was a mastake not to endorse all three." Of the top three Democratic candidates, only Endicott Peabody, nominee for Governor, was endorsed.

The ADA again departed from tradition at its policy meeting Wednesday by endorsing Republican Edward W. Brooke for Attorney-General. Brooke, the first Negro to run for statewide office in the Commonwealth, faces Democratic candidate Francis E. "Sweepstakes" Kelly. Kelly had distinguished himself by advocating a giant sweepstakes to remedy Massachusetts' financial ills.

"While I am a strong party man," Beer said, "I personally endorse Brooke. Kelly's proposal for a sweepstakes was wisely rejected by the party convention. His victory in the primary, due to the confuson caused by the large number of candidates, was accidental. Brooke has shown himself to be a vigorous prosecutor, and a man of integrity and intelligence."

Beer, a sponsor of the recently formed "Harvard Students for Edward M. Kennedy," was particularly emphatic in his condemnation of the ADA's action of Kennedy. Reportedly, Beer was able to muster a majority of ADA action to the Kennedy cause, but was unable to overcome opposition from Hughes and Lodge supporters to obtain the necessary two thirds vote for endorsement.