United Dems Hail Peabody

By Lawrence W. Feinberg

The feuding potentates of Massachusetts' Democratic Party gathered in Boston's Statler-Hilton Hotel last night for a $100 a plate unity feast honoring Endicott Peabody '42, their nominee for governor.

Peabody was cheered loudly as he thanked the different chieftains for their support and exhorted them to work harder. He accused his Republican opponents of smearing Massachusetts with bill-boards saying "S.O.S--Save our State."

But he threw away a far stronger speech calling Governor Volpe's record one of "do-nothing stagnation" and challenging the governor to a public debate.

Most of the long evening was spent introducing 30 prominent Democrats, including Peabody's rivals for the gubernatorial nomination, Lieutenant Governor Edward A. Mc Laughlin and Motor Vehicle Registrar Clement A. Riley.

Edward M. Kennedy '54, the nominee for Senator, drew the strongest applause. He raced onto the dals to declare: "With out this spirit we cannot prevail. With the spirit we cannot fall."

Kennedy's presence underlined one of the major themes of the gathering, tying Peabody's candidacy to support for President John F. Kennedy.

Peabody's campaign manager, Rep Thomas P. O'Neill of Cambridge, made this point forcefully when he declared that Massachusetts "cannot afford to have a governor who campaign against our favorite son every time he leaves the state."

"And that's an issue," O'Neill maintained.

O'Neill also delighted the 1,000 diners in highly partisan audience by taunting the Republicans on the theft of $70,000 raised by General Eisenhower's speech in the Commonwealth Armory here Monday.

"How can we expect them to take care of the security of Massachusetts," O'Neill demanded, "whey they can't even watch the security of their own funds."

While Democratic raised money and ate roast beef in the Statler, college Young Republicans were preparing a rally in Carey Cage here tonight for George C. Lodge, the GOP candidate for Senator. Besides Lodge, the rally will be attended by Governor Volpe, Edward W. Brooke, the Republican candidate for state atorney general and 1000 girls recruitedfrom throughout the state for a mixer which will follow the politicking.