Cross-Country Triumphs Over Favored Ithacans

Running on a wet course, the varsity cross-country squad defeated slightly-favored Cornell in its opening meet on Saturday, 26-29. Harvard times were slow in the mud at Ithaca, and Captain Hamlin called the outcome "a victory without distinction."

"He had expected to do better," Hamlin. The soggy ground and the fact many squad members didn't wear combined to slow some of Harvard top men. Hamlin, himself, finished in 29 minutes. Eddie Meehan, running with cleats, captured second Crimson in 27:58, seconds behind Cornell's Jim Byard. Byard's winning 27:34 was a minute off the course record.

Cornell's top cross-country man, Steve Machooka, is scholastically ineligible and Saturday's race. Machooka holds course record at Cornell.

Sophomores Clinch Meet

Important points were added by sophomore Bob Anschuetz who finished eighth, with Crimson runner to cross the Anschuetz, who had been rated far the top five before the meet, beat four Cornell runners in a contest which lasted almost to the end. Anshuetz ahead as he neared the finish, the nearest Cornell runner by 20 seconds. Had he allowed two of the men to pass him, Cornell would on the meet.

Another Harvard sophomore, Bill Crain, captured fifth for the Crimson. Faces behind him came sophomore Jack D'Arcy.

Tuesday the varsity will meet Boston University at home, and the Crimson is heavily favored. The toughest meet of the season may be Friday's against Brown, considered the Ivy League favorite. Harvard beat Brown last year, 25-30. But the entire Brown varsity is back, while last years' Crimson squad, with the exception of Hamlin and Meehan, has graduated.

The Crimson team has been strengthened by promising sophomores. Last year, however, the Brown freshman team licked them, taking all of the first five places.