Lowell Students Knock Central Kitchen Meals

By Robert A. Ferguson

Attacking the Administration's contention that there "has never been such glowing praise for Central Kitchen food," an overwhelming majority of Lowell House students blasted the entire system in a "kitcher poll" held Tuesday night. Seventy-one per cent of those polled by HCUA representative R. Thomas Seymour '64 said they were "always, usually, or often displeased" with Central Kitchen food.

To the tune of "Why powdered potatoes?" 315 students answered 13 questions covering everything from fresh fruit to variety in vegetables. Instant mashed potatoes or "library paste" took top honors as the most undesirable dish on the house menu.

A traditional hot bed of Central Kitchen discontent, Lowell put "Ken-L-Ration meat loaf," "grade double Z beef," and the often-mentioned, overboiled "green bean" high on its list of food served too frequently.

Cold, gelatinous fried eggs, hamburgers (gray and crumbling), and Sunday suppers also received what pollster Seymour termed "vigorous opposition."

Many students complained of what several called "mystery meat." Uneasy eaters explained that "it can't be named" or, more carefully, "the meat cannot be identified because of its eclectic and unpurified character."

Splinters Discovered

More specific complaints focused on the splinters found in the zucchini squash, the "exorbitant board rate," and the "babyhood trays that not even Yale uses."

Seymour explained that the poll was conducted because the University refused to consider any action until specific complaints had been made. He added that most students took the poll seriously and that opinion was sharply divided on several issues.

Half of the students polled felt that the variety of dishes was unsatisfactory, and an equal number felt that the trays and silverware were "sufficiently clean" for use.

A surprisingly large group resented the preferential treatment received by Quincy and Adams Houses (both off of Central Kitchen). Twenty-five dissatisfied diners felt it was unfair for those off of Central Kitchen to pay the same board rate for appreciably better food.

Over 70 per cent claimed the food was certainly not worth the price, ("an unreasonably high $620") and 25 students mentioned in their additional comments that they would sign off board if allowed.

Seymour indicated that he would take his list of complaints to the next HCUA meeting on Monday and predicted that a subsequent report would be sent to the officials of the University dining hall service.