Cornell, Indians Picked In League Game Today

Ivy Outlook

By Joseph M. Russin

All the Ivy teams play League opponents this week, but it is unlikely that decisive changes will be made in the standing by the day's end.

Dartmouth and Princeton are still the teams to beat, with Cornell looming in the background as a long-shot contender. As these three teams do not meet each other until the last two weeks of the season, the championship may not be decided until the final game.

The Big Red of Ithaca has an opportunity to gain ground today when it travels to New York for a clash with Columbia. It is now quite clear that the Lions, despite their win over Lehigh last Saturday, are at least a year away from having a winning football team.

It is not nearly so clear that Cornell has found the secret, but at times the Ithacans have been startlingly effective. Last week they jolted a cocky Princeton team, 35-34, and they previously nipped Harvard. Actually, it is questionable that Cornell beat Princeton. All the evidence shows that quarterback Gary Wood did it practically alone.

Wood, who was named Ivy Back of the Week for the second time this year rolled up an incredible total of 337 yards in passing and rushing against the Tigers. He completed 13 of 16 passes, three of them for touchdowns, and scored twice himself on runs of 49 and 2 yards.

At New York Wood will face another rather talented passer--Archie Roberts. As neither team has much in the way of runners, the game should turn into a fantastic aerial contest. Roberts is good, but Wood is much better. I'll take Cornell, by at least a touchdown.

The much-shaken Princeton Tigers are at home for Brown, and will be trying desperately to win a football game. Princeton, which was described as invincible by pre-season prognisticators, has lost two in a row, both to teams they should have clobbered.

Princeton's problem seems to be about the same as Harvard's--great backs, but no protection and leaky defense on the line. The Tiger line might find the going easier today, however, as several Bruin linemen are injured, and Brown didn't have a great line start with.

While the Tigers should really humiliate Brown, the chances are they will win, but not by very much. Sophomore quarterback Jim Dunda has shown surprising ability for Brown this year, and the Bears are hungry. Of course, the Bears are perenially hungry but their one win and two ties this year have whetted their appetities. Brown's favorite food is Harvard, but Tiger meat is mighty palatable.

Another Scalping

Dartmouth's scalping raid takes place in the Yale Bowl this week. The Yalies, who could only manage a tie against Colgate, may be able to put up some limited resistance, but it is apt to be only token.

The Indians are the League's best team offensively and defensively, and defensively and there is nothing in Yale's background to indicate that the New Haven school will be able to prevent Dartmouth from winning by less than touchdowns.