Intramural Harriers Struggle in Mud

In yesterday's House cross - country meet, Lowell edged Adams by five points to capture the team honors. Eliot with a boisterous squad of twenty entrants, finished third in the close over-all standings.

Weinstein Wins Title

John Weinstein of Winthrop won the individual title, beating Bill Thaxter of Dunster by fifty yards, although the race had been close over most of the two mile course. Jeff Peck of Lowell, who placed third in last year's meet again finished third to pace the winning Lowell team.

Lowell's total of 74 was barely enough to beat Adam' 79 points for the title which Kirkland had won last year. Sid Griest, Peck's teammate, ran past Paul Hoff of Adams for fourth place. Eliot squeaked by Winthrop for its third place finish, 89-90.

Mud Slows Runners

The course, which skirts the edge of the athletic fields near soldier's Field Road, was blocked enough by mud and puddles, to prompt Floyd S. Wilson, Director of Intramural Athletics, to warn the house runners about "getting their feet wet."

The race also ran into some bulldozing being done in the middle of the course, causing a jam of runners on the one side of the track. Many had already fallen in several pile-ups at the start, when some slower runners tripped in the pack.

The jams were caused by the record participation in the race. Out of the 84 who started, 79 were able to finish. In the freshman race, which was run just before the House contest, 92 entered, a new high of which 86 finished.

The freshman meet was won by David Allen of Grays, although he was pressed by George Brandenburg of Strauss and Dieter Wahl of Greenough, who finished second and third, respectively.