ECAC to Decide On Kinasewich In N.Y.C. Today

By Ronald I. Cohen

Yesterday afternoon Eugene Kinasewich '64 left for New York City and the Eastern College Athletic Conference to appeal its September decision which declared him ineligible to play hockey in the ECAC.

The eligibility committee of the ECAC declared Kinasewich ineligible this fall because he had receive money for playing Junior A hockey in Alberta, Canada. This was a reversal of an Ivy League ruling of last year, which had allowed Kinasewich to play the full season for the Crimson.

Kinasewich also missed action in 1960-61 because of an earlier Ivy League decision which declared him ineligible. Last winter, however, he was the leading scorer on the Harvard varsity.

Eligibility Discussed

The National Collegiate Athlete Conference met to discuss Kinasewich's eligibility Dec. 4. It has not yet handed down its decision, and it not expected to do so until after the ECAC announcement today.

Both the NCAA and the ECAC decision will presumably have an effect on the status of other Canadian Junior A players now active in American collegiate ranks.

If the ECAC allows Kinasewich to play, he will return to Cambridge in time for the Crimson hockey game tonight against the Huskies of Northeastern. Should he rejoin the Harvard ranks tonight, he will probably play with his former linemates, !ke Ikauniks and captain Tim Taylor.