Squash Team Overwhelms Cornell To Remain Undefeated This Season

Squash coach Jack Barnaby started to worry about "overconfidence" after his undefeated team overwhelmed Cornell Saturday afternoon. It was the Crimson's fifth straight win and second straight shutout.

"We've get to keep our nose to our knitting." Barnaby growled. "Teams that get overconfident are teams that don't win championships." But it Barnaby hopes to infect the Crimson team with doubt, he was not noticeably aided by the Cornell match.

Eight of the nine players defeated their opponents without losing a game. Lou Williams lost one game to Cornell's number four player, but remained undefeated in match play for the year. John Vinton, number seven, and Terry Robinson, number eight, are also still unbeaten.

"This was a really encouraging match," said captain Roger Wlegand. "True, they had a weak team, but we best them far worse than Yale did." Wlegand played the best match of the day, running his opponent off the court in less than 15 minutes: 15-12, 15-3, 15-2.

The varsity meets Yale Feb. 27.

Led by Sam Howe, the number three ranked player in the nation, the Elis seem to constitute the only obstacle between the Crimson and a second consecutive Ivy League championship.

The undefeated freshman squash team won its third match, defeating Exeter, 4-1. The match was close until the Crimson's last two men won their matches, clinching the victory.