Marion Will Stage Fencing Exhibition

Local sports fans will have a rare opportunity tomorrow afternoon to witness an expert fencing duel complete with all the trappings of a medieval ritual.

Harvard fencing coach Edo Marion, will duel in a special match with Joe Levis of Boston. The challenge bout will precede the Harvard-Princeton match.

The exhibition is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. tomorrow in the IAB.

Competed in Olympics

Levis has been U.S. National Champion six times, a member of three Olympic teams, and a runner-up in Olympic competition. Marion was a member of the Yugoslavian national team back in the middle '30s. Both competed in the 1932 and 1936 Olympics.

The match will be preceded with the "Grand Salute," a formal ritual with its roots in medieval times which is now performed before major tournaments at the French National Military Academy.

The duel is being held in an effort to spark interest in fencing, according to Marion. "We thought if we put on a challenge bout with all its formality and excitement we could give the public a good show," Marion remarked.

Roots in Middle Ages

The bout will be with the foil which is a modern descendent of the short dross sword. The conventional fencing weapon, it weighs 17 ounces and is 43 inches long. A seven-touch duel will "be equivalent to five rounds in a boxing match," Marion said.

After the exhibition, Harvard's fencing varsity will go after its first Ivy victory against Princeton, Marion thinks his team has a good chance for success in the match which will begin at 3 p.m.