HOCKEY TEAM WINS

Linemates Dean Alpine and Tom Heintzman scored two goals apiece to lead the Crimson to a 5-2 victory over Brown at Providence Wednesday night. Harvard is now 6-1 in the Ivy League, which puts it in a first place tie with Cornell. Overall, the Crimson is 17-4.

Alpine, a senior left wing, also made two assists to bring his season point total to 17. Heintzman had one assist, and has scored 14 points.

Starting quickly, Harvard raced to a 4-1 lead after a period and coasted the rest of the way. Goalie Godfrey Wood made only 15 saves against the Bruins. His opposite number, Bob Dunham, made 50.

Bill Beckett, rounding into form after a slow start, scored the fifth Crimson goal. Leading scorer Tim Taylor was sidelined with a charley horse, and his flashy partner, Gene Kinasewich, was shut out.

Since hockey standings are based solely on the number of victories a team has scored, Cornell is still in an official tie for first. But the Big Red has already lost three times, and two Crimson victories in its last three games will clinch the championship.