Varsity Hockey Squad Will Face Upset-Hungry Princeton Sextet

By Michael S. Lottman

The varsity hockey team can put away its seventh Ivy League championship in nine years with a win over Princeton tonight at Watson Rink. Game time will be 7:30 p.m.

Coach Cooney Welland's sextet has been playing rather ragged hockey in recent contests, and will be hard pressed to win the two games remaining in the regular season. Both Princeton, tonight's opponent, and Yale held the Crimson to unimpressive victories the first time around, and both would like to salvage mediocre campaigns by knocking off the varsity.

The Crimson edged the Tigers, 3 to 1, on Feb. 17 at Princeton, after trailing, 1 to 0. In that game, the Tigers managed to keep the varsity away from their goal for most of the evening.

Yale used the same sort of tactics last Saturday in New Haven, as the Elis limited the Crimson to a 2-1 triumph. Bulldog defenders swarmed all over varsity attackers, and maneuvering in the offensive zone became next to impossible.

Kinasewich Surrounded

Center Gene Kinasewich, naturally, draws most of the attention of vigorous enemy defenders. In the Yale game, he took his life in his hands every time he skated toward the Eli nets.

Referees around the League have been slow to call penalties on the Crimson's foes, preferring instead to watch the varsity like little hawks.

Princeton will bring to Watson Rink tonight one of the best first lines in the League--John Cook, Jim Hyland, and Dave Hersey. Captain Austin Sullivan and Brit Mockridge are two able defensemen. But the Tigers lack adequate second-line support. In the goal, Bill Hill has been very good at times.

Tickets can be obtained at 60 Boylston St. until 5 p.m. today. Students should get there early, because F.O. Lundon, the ticket manager, runs on his own time.