Freshmen From Ohio Can Win Scholarships

The University has established three new scholarship programs.

The first is that financed by Dayton attorney Victor Jacobs for freshmen from Ohio.

awarded this spring for the academic

The first Jacobs Scholarship will be year 1962-63. Preference will be given to students from Montgomery County and contiguous Ohio counties.

Fifty-eight students from Ohio are members of this year's freshman class at Harvard. Twelve are from the Dayton area and two received Harvard Club of Dayton Scholarships.

A second program honors the late Ray Atherton, career diplomat and the first U.S. ambassador to Canada. It awards fellowships for graduate study in international relations.

The Ray Atherton Fellowships are open to any student doing advanced work in any phase of the relations between nations.

Charles S. Maier '60 of Scarsdale, N.Y. holds the first Ray Atherton Fellowship for 1961-62. He is studying the history of modern Europe. Maier received the A.B. degree summa cum laude from Harvard, in 1960 and studied at Oxford on a Henry Fellowship in 1960-61. As an undergraduate, he was executive editor of the CRIMSON.

Honoring the first Director of Alumni Relations of the Medical School, the Medical Alumni Association has provided the capital funds needed for the establishment of the Thomas Hinckley Lanman Memorial Scholarship Fund at the Medical School. Announcement the alumni action was made jointly by Dr. Samuel A. Levine, President of the Medical Alumni Association and Dr. George P. Berry, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine.

The gift from the Medical Alumni Association to the Medical School has been made possible by numerous contributions from friends, colleagues, and alumni. It will provide an annual scholarship for an outstanding medical student requiring financial assistance. The first award of the scholarship will be made next spring.