Varsity Hockey Beats B.U., 6-1

By Bruce M. Reeves

Last month, when the varsity hockey team beat Boston College, 3-2, some B.C. fans claimed they were robbed. Last night the Crimson committed grand larceny on this same team, thrashing the Eagles, 6 to 1, in the opening round of the annual Beanpot Tournament before 13,909 at the Garden.

The victory was a particularly gratifying one for the varsity, which had been startled just last Saturday by a loss to Cornell, Coach Cooney Weiland's team scored twice in each period and nearly every goal was a triumph in itself.

The win, which solved the B.C. problem quite decisively for this season, pushed the Crimson into the Beanpot finals (next Monday night) against Boston University, which had earlier slugged out a last-minute victory over North-eastern, 5 to 4.

The only complaint Boston College could possibly make after its defeat is that it did not have the services of first-string goalie charlie Driscoll, who was out with an injury.

Could Driscoll have shut the Crimson out , 1-07 Probably even Glenn Hall of the Chicago Blackhawks would have had trouble doing that. Welland's offensive team was showing its class last night and B.C.'s wild but determined squad was simply no match for it.

It is true, however, that the Magics gave the varsity an anxious one or two minutes at the beginning of the game. Defensman Dave Johnston had to make the period's first stop with his stomach at 0:35. And the Crimson didn't score until 10:35 when Gene Kinasewich drilled in his own rebound off goalie Tom Apprille's pads.

But that goal set the pattern for the rest of the game. The Crimson scored the winning point at 16:51 when Captain Grannis knocked in a rebound from a shot by Ike Ikauniks. B.C. bounced back buyantly at 6:48 of the second period to make it 2-1 and considered itself still in the game.

Probably it was the Crimson's ineffectual clearing in its own sone that gave the Eagles this mistaken impression. Goalie Bob Bland, playing with ten fresh stitches in his forehead, covered up this weakness, however, and turned in a total of 26 saves, many of them made with his trusty left hand.

Although the game was not a free-for all (the Crimson's beautiful play-making prevented that), Boston College did infuse a little hot temper into the play occasionally and accordingly drew seven penalties. The Crimson got six penalties itself, but two of three of these were committed more-or-less in self-defense.

While the varsity scored twice with B.C. shorthanded, it used one of its own penalties to surprise the Eagles with the best goal of the night. Kinasewich roared away alone on Apprille and hit his left arm with the hardest shot of the night. Somehow lineman Tim Taylor had gotten down the ice with him and was there to get the rebound and fake the goalie out twice before casually flipping in the puck.

Taylor's beauty, at 18:23 of the middle stanza, was the Crimson's fourth. Apprille himself really scored the third one. Ike Ikauniks had shot a pass around the boards to Dave Morse who aimed from the side and hit Apprille's pads. The puck fell at his feet and he proceeded to dance it into the nets.

The crowd quieted down to an occasional "come on" in the final period when Taylor split the B.C. defense, skated in to the left, and slid in a goal that Apprille never touched. Bill Beckett netted number six by faking out the goalie after taking a nice pass from Kinasewich.

Almost all of the Eagles' attack centered around forward Billy Hogan who skated well and tirelessly almost the whole game. On defense, Apprille had a total of 25 saves