Tocsin Expects More Than 300 From University to Join March

By Joseph M. Russin

Encouraged by the large and enthusiastic attendance at Monday's planning meeting, Tocsin officials predicted last night that nearly 300 Harvard and Radcliffe students would make the trip to the nation's capital for Project Washington.

If present expectations are fulfilled, the Harvard contingent will be joined by over 2,000 other students from about 100 other colleges.

The first Harvard-Radcliffe group will leave Cambridge Thursday night, Feb. 15, and arrive in Washington the next day in time for conferences with Representatives and Senators.

More chartered buses will leave on Friday to take demonstrators to Saturday's mass picketing of the White House and the concluding rally.

Seminar Session

In order to prepare the Harvard delegation for Congressional interviews, a seminar session will be held this Saturday from 1-5 p.m. at the Friends' Meeting House, I. F. Stone, noted Washington journalist, and Sanford Gottlieb, co-chairmen of the Turn Toward Peace Council, will present briefings on disarmament issues.

Despite the tremendous organizational effort already put into the Harvard-originated Project, Tocsin leaders are modest in their expectations for accomplishments. Todd A. Gitlin '63, vice-chairman of Tocsin, said he thought the best chances for success were on the atmospheric testing issue. "We, along with all the other demonstrations being held, might have a great effect here," he commented.

Hopes for Effect

Peter C. Goldmark '62, Tocsin chairman, hopes for "a small but noticeable effect" on the testing issue but claims the main purpose of the Project "is to have the ideas of our policy injected with force into public discussions."

He notes a "widespread disenchantment" with the military policies of the government and hopes "this demonstration will prepare the way for others to speak out."

Pointing to a "gap or breakdown in the democratic processes," Goldmark expressed the conviction that movements like Project Washington could effectively convey public opinion to government officials.

"Since Eisenhower is out, there has been a change of focus; the people there now are ones we can talk to," he maintained.