Eli Basketball Team Invades IAB

By Joseph M. Russin

Yales' basketball varsity, currently top dogs in the Ivy League, visits Cambridge tonight for a crucial contest in the IAB at 8:15 p.m.

The Elis, who have whipped Princeton twice, split a pair with tough Penn, and have even managed to give nationally ranked Kentucky a scare, currently are given the best chance for winning the Ivy laurels--if they win tonight. Crimson basketball mentor Floyd Wilson thinks Yale will be "the best team we have played to date."

A very fast ball club with smooth ball handlers and great passing accuracy, Yale can be expected to use short jumps and slants against the Crimson's switching man-to-man defense. Wilson has been putting in extra time this week on defense in an effort to control the Yalie speedsters.

Bill Madden, Bulldog backcourt man, leads the Yale attack and is rumored to have a deadly outside jump shot. Denny Lynch--not related to the Crimson star--is another top Eli gunner. Defensively, 6-4 Captain John Dowd and guard Bill Polinsky are the stand-outs.

As of last night Coach Wilson was still uncertain about his choice of starters. Gene Augustine, who played a terrific game against Cornell, will go at one guard position, with Joe Deering filling the other backcourt slot. Captain Gary Borchard, who dunked 22 points in the Columbia contest, and Denny Lynch, currently the Crimson's top scorer with a 14.7 average, will be in the forecourt.

At the post, though, it will either be elongated (6-4) sophomore Bob Inman or old stand-by Bill Danner. Inman moved into the starting five last weekend.

Although he won't start, Pete Kelley, the team's number two scorer, should see considerable action. Wilson keeps Kelley on the bench during the opening tip-off in order to have him available to inject new life into the squad when the offense begins to sag. Thus far Kelly has been quite effective in his role as a pep-up pill.

Even though the New Haven intruders must be given the edge, a bulldog romp is no certainty.