School of 'Education Institutes Part-Time Programs for Women

School of Education has established part-time study programs to pre-college educated women with family responsibilities for careers in teaching. There's a group of women who obviously can't devote full time," stated G. Keppel '38, Dean of the School of Education, "so we're adapting program for them."

Participants in the program will receive the degrees of Master of Education elementary school teaching and of Arts in Teaching for secondary school instruction. "Requirements will be exactly the same full-time students," Keppel said-- liberal arts education." 25 women will be enrolled in programs, which will begin this fall.

Program for elementary teachers conducted in cooperation with Public Schools. Students in program will go into classrooms after two years of part-time Keppel said. "A persistent problem the elementary schools," Charles . Superintendent of the Newton Schools, commented, "is the loss women who stay in teaching for few years before assuming full-responsibilities as wives and " Harvard's new program, he offers the possibility of providing degree of continuity in our staff."

in secondary teaching will be by the Faculty of Arts and and the faculties of the School education and the Radcliffe Graduate Students may prepare for high teaching in the fields of classics, , fine arts, mathematics, modern languages, music, and the natural sciences.

students must meet the same requirements as full-time students, stated, but their programs will individually to extend over a period of time.

kind of woman we are looking for part-time programs," he said, "is whose exceptional abilities might be lost to teaching. We hope new arrangements will help make satisfying use of their and at the same time contribute schools the kind of talent that is ."

Student Bunting called the new an important step toward qualified teachers we all know --and providing them for this . I believe that the woman finishes part-time study in order to to her field does so with a high of conviction and purpose, and be working full-time."