Crimson's Zentgraf, Kaufmann, Pringle Capture Easterns Lead

By Robert E. Smith, (Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW HAVEN, Conn., March 16--Harvard moved ahead tonight in the Eastern Seaboard Intercollegiate Swimming Championships with a lucky break and strong performances by its big three--Pringle, Kaufmann, and Zentgraf.

After nine events, the Crimson swimmers are in first place with 38 points, 12 points ahead of Princeton, and 15 ahead of Yale. The highly-favored Eli freestyle relay team was disqualified in the afternoon trial, because one of its men missed a turn. That cost the Yale swimmers some valuable points on which they had counted, and offered the varsity an open field in the relay.

Yale had registered the second fastest time in the trials, behind Williams. In the evening final, the Crimson touched out the Ephman quartet with a time of 3:20.0.

Captain Bob Kaufmann took the lead and held it until the end of his stint, with North Carolina close behind. Williams gained on Dennis Hunter of the Crimson, when captain-elect Alan Engelberg pulled even and took advantage of a ragged turn on the last lap by Williams and went ahead by an inch or two.

Bill Zentgraf, on the anchor leg, increased the lead to a shoulder length, and held off late advances by both Williams and North Carolina. Earlier in the evening Zentgraf came through with a fourth (in 2:06.2) in the 220-yard freestyle, behind the favorite Dick McDonough of Villanova, all-American Ed Spencer of North Carolina State, and John Geoghegan, McDonough's teammate.

McDonough, the meet's first double winner, also won the 200-yard butterfly by two body lengths, in a new meet and pool time of 2:01.2. The Crimson relay victory was the only winning performance not to break at least one record in the second night of the twenty-second annual EISL Championships at Yale's Payne-Whitney Pool.

McDonough set pool and meet records in both his events; Jed Graef of Princeton met a new meet and pool mark in the 200-yard backstroke; and Peter Fogasy, a Hungarian now at North Carolina state, broke his own 1961 EISL and Yale pool records in the 200-yard breaststroke.

And then there was Mike Austin, Yale's amazing sophomore sprinter. He jumped out of a Russian class this morning and raced by bicycle to the pool just in time for the trial heat of the 50 yard freestyle. He hopped on to the starting block as the starter was ready to go, and then casually qualified in 0:21.7 (the NCAA record is 0:21.4).

He explained later that he had no buttons left on his shirt and that he would do better in the evening finals after he had time to warm up. Like a flash, he won the finals in 0:21.2, a new NCAA, meet, Yale, pool, and personal record. It is the fastest recorded time for any swimmer in any event ever.

Second in the 50 was Kaufmann, (0:22.0) who thereby picked up another five points for the Crimson. John Pringle, returning to the scene of his great triumph over Yale less than two weeks ago, finished third in the 200-yard backstroke.

Princeton, in the team competition, gained most of its points in the one meter diving, with a first and a fourth.

Crimson coach Bill Brooks, elated over his team's strength thus far, now hopes to pick up all the marbles. Saturday he will have all of his strength in the final event, the medley relay, in which he has entered Pringle, Bill Chadsey, Bob Price, and Kaufmann. Yale is the clear favorite in the race, but the varsity will be seeking a third or possibly a second over Villanova, Navy, or Princeton.