Declares Inability To Seize MTA Yards

By Bruce L. Paisner

Cambridge lacks the authority to take the Bennett St. MTA Yards by the eminent domain," the Cambridge City Manager told the City Council .

the opinion of both the City solicitor and the attorney for the Cambridge Authority that the city cannot seize any land already devoted to ," John J. Curry declared. "Cambridge cannot take the Bennett St. as the land continues to be used by the MTA."

decision that "no proceedings can presently be instituted to acquire the the MTA," has stopped cold an attempt by Councillor Daniel J. Hayes the land declared an "Open Blighted Area" and thus prevent the University the property directly from .

in February, Hayes introduced a empowering the City Manager "to proceedings to acquire the Yards from the MTA under the Renewal Act." Hayes declared was acting "to prevent Harvard all the land for education-." Several members of the questioned the legality of Hayes' when it was introduced.

University may face new trouble, in a resolution introduced by Councillor Walter J. requests the Board of draw up a list of all parcels of owned by Harvard University, with the taxes paid by the

told the CRIMSON that "University have forced 120 families out of his district (St. Paul's in one year." He said that he a more detailed investigation information he requested is .