Hughes Confirms Choice to Run For U.S. Senate as Independent

By Frederick H. Gardner

At a press conference in Boston yesterday morning, Hughes, professor of History, announced his candidacy for the United States Senate seat which Benjamin '39 will relinquish this term.

Qualifying himself as a New Deal Democrat, Hughes said bypass the Democratic Primary and run as an independent because the party had "not remained true" to its tradition. He now must obtain 72,500 valid signatures his name on the ballot in November.

The former Strategic Services officer emphasized the need for disarmament and expressed hope that his presence in the force debate in areas where bipartisan agreement discussion.

I don't have all the answers," he told a Globe reporter him for details of his foreign policy proposals, conventional answers are clearly insufficient. The the arms race are greater than any that may result dependent action for peace."

of the dozen reporters investigated the new . "Professor," one asked slightingly, "don't you think lifting our quarantine will help Castro?" Hughes, also urged recognition of China, pointed out that S. recognizes the Soviet Union without aiding and that country.

He persistently faced questions dealing with his out-of- and past residency, his attitude toward Kennedy and the Democratic party, and his refusal to vote in "That was a quixotic, ineffective " Hughes admitted. "Now I'm a more active one."

Though he is the grandson of former Justice Charles Evans Hughes, who successfully on an anti-war ticket Presidency in 1916, the 45-year-old or tried to establish himself as a candidate." His rivals in the Republican George Cabot and Democrats Edward Ted Kennedy. Hughes cited of those brand-name proof that Massachusetts become ingrown.

"Tolerance of Corruption"

accused both major parties of of corruption and resistance to " in his opening statement, the candidate hesitated to speak further a matters.

Answered a question on federal aid schools by listing four on which an educational system be based. This prompted one to complain, after the that Hughes had been unsatisfying in his answers.

same reporter, who apparently the response of the working had leaned back when Hughes to himself as an agnostic and , "Well, that's the ballgame." , however, indicated that already come to him from peace and women's groups across common wealth. Unfortunately, the petitions which are due in will not be furnished by the May 15. His student not, therefore, be around for of the leg-work.

Hughes' insistence that his a token candidacy, the avoidance Massachusetts' issues indicated that in the ensuing campaign will be the disarmament problem.

The candidate's tone throughout the conference was a hopeful one. But when by a television cameraman who arrived late to repeat his opening , Hughes inadvertently changed decided to make my appeal to the hundreds of thousands of independent and to those Republicans and Democrats who are dissatisfied . . ." to, the tens of thousands. . . .

"Tolerance of Corruption"

"Tolerance of Corruption"

"Tolerance of Corruption"

"Tolerance of Corruption"

"Tolerance of Corruption"

"Tolerance of Corruption"

"Tolerance of Corruption"