HOW ARD PHILLIPS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Harvard CRIMSON proved beyond doubt in Thursday's edition that it has quit even the pretense of being a responsible news organ.

Not a single story of the many concerning me which have appeared in the CRIMSON during the past year has been free of either half-truths, lies, misquotations, or fabricated comment. But yesterday even the CRIMSON went too far. Its libelous, malicious, and inaccurate story attempting to associate me with the Ku Klux Klan, the Cross and the Flag and other fanatic groups is the epitome of what one might expect to read in a description of the United States by Pravda or Izvestia. The gravity of the implied association with the KKK is emphasized by the fact that that group is on the Attorney-General's list of subversive organizations.

I am no more responsible for what may have appeared in The Cross and the Flag than President Pusey is for the Worker articles eulogizing him.

President Pusey is not a supporter of the Communists, nor I of the Ku Klux Klan. Since I am Jewish, I have particular contempt for the CRIMSON's inference that I am anti-semitic.

The CRIMSON owes me and its readers a full apology. Howard J. Phillips '62.