Track Squad Will Try for Heps Crown

By Michael S. Lottman

It's time for the varsity track team's semi-annual Heptagonal tragedy. Today at Ithaca, coach Bill McCurdy's warriors will do battle with the other schools and Army and Navy; and there is no real reason for it, Crimson will probably wind up closer the botton than the top of the heap. Already, have been taken to the varsity's fall. In this week's from the Department of Athletics, positive statement McCurdy make "Army is the team to and we figure to be up in the battle but I don't know how we'll to last week's meet. We may have or we might keep right on . In view of this becoming is worth repeating the Crimson defeated Yale last week, to 53 1/2, in a brilliant show of strength.

Reportedly, the varsity is neither up nor down for the Heptagonals. The attitude seems to be the traditional, "I wonder what will happen to us?" In this same state of mind, the Crimson finished a poor fourth in last winter's Heps, and an even worse sixth last spring.

This year especially, there seems to be little cause for the Crimson's passive attitude. The Heps field is one of the worst in years, and Yale, the dominant force in recent Heptagonal meets, is eminently beatable.

Army, Navy, Harvard, and Yale figure to fight it out for the Heps crown, which should go for about 40 points. The Crimson will be without the services of Jim Leath and Jack Spitzberg, and Ed Hamlin and Hank Hatch will be at less than full strength.

Captain Mark Mullin seems sure to win his first indoor Heps championship in the mile. His two potentially serious rivals, Bobby Mack of Yale and Pat Lingle of Army, will probably be occupied with other events, and nobody else should come within five seconds of him.

Ted Bailey is favored in his key battle with Army's Clark Ballard in the weight and Rick DeLone should win the shot put. The now almost sainted two-mile relay unit of Don Kirkland, Eddie Meehan, Mullin, and Hamlin must be rated at least even with the Army foursome.

Other Crimson points should come from Art Doten in the weight, Sarge Nichols in the shot, Sid Marland and Marty Beck-with in the broad jump, Beckwith in the high jump, Kirkland and Lowell Davidson in the 600, Meeban in the 1000, and the mile relay squad.

Outstanding favorites include Cornell's Tom Mikulina in the high jump. Mack in the two-mile. Navy's Pete Golwas in the 60, Yale's Bill Flippin in the hurdles, and Cornell's Fran Smith in the 600.