Wrestlers, in Finale, Edge Yale by 1 Point

Harvard's varsity wrestling squad made up for a generally disappointing season with a tense 15-14 conquest of Yale last Saturday in the LAB. As usual, most of the Harvard strength was in the middle weights, where Bill Smith, Bob Kolodney, and Fred Pereira came through with three consecutive victories.

Senior Ed Greitser opened the meet with a 5-2 decision over Jack Roberts of Yale. Then captain George Doub came on the mat to face Yale's Clyde Edgar, Doub, who is undefeated this season, made things look easy, gaining two takedowns, a reverse, and an escape in posting a 7-2 decision.

The Crimson scoring was interrupted in the 137 match when Brooks Cavin lost 2-2 to Fred Buell. Buell, with a take down, and Cavin, with a reverse, were tied 2-2 when time ran out, but the Yalie picked up the winning point on riding time.

Bill Smith (147) then handily put away Steve Caplan for his first victory of the season.

In the 157-pound clash, the Crimson's Bob Kolodney met Jon Bogart. The two wrestled to a draw in last year's meet, but this time Kolodney easily disposed of Bogart 7-2.

At 167 Fred Pereira was matched with Bob Hannah, a 6 ft. sophomore who had decisioned him in the freshman meet at New Haven last winter. Pereira went after revenge with a vengeance, and while he failed to pin, he did earn a 9-3 triumph.

Harvard lost the final three matches, but Yale failed to pick up enough points to overcome the Crimson lead. Art Mann pinned John Valentine at 177, and Dave Plimpton decisioned Paul Schnits in the 191-pound category. A Yale pin in the heavyweight match would have given the meet to the Bulldogs, but Bob Fastov managed to hold the line, losing a 5-4 decision on riding time.