Pappenheimer Names Bunting First Woman Associate for Dunster

President Bunting of Radcliffe has been named the first woman associate of Dunster House in the House's history.

Alwin M. Pappenheimer, Jr. '29, Master of Dunster, said yesterday he has been planning ever since last year to increase Dunster's ties with Radcliffe. He said that he thought the appointment of Mrs. Bunting, a close friend and fellow biologist, was an appropriate first step.

President Bunting becomes the only female associate of a Harvard House, and joins three other women who are members of House staffs.

Pappenheimer also revealed yesterday plans for a relationship between Dunster and Radcliffe's East House. He and another biologist, Kenneth V. Thimann, Master of East House, plan an informal exchange program at first, which may develop later into a formal affiliation like those which some Houses and Radcliffe halls already have.

Exchange So Far

Pappenheimer and Thimann agree that the Dunster-East program should develop only to the degree that undergraduates have the ideas and the desire for extra-curricular activities. At this point the affiliation has involved only Dunster's sending of its calendar to East and East's invitation for Dunster men to join a madrigal group. Pappenheimer remarked that he expected the exchange program to increase interest in music, drama, the art workshop, and the seminars of the Houses.

"The extent of the program depends entirely on how, the students of each House feel about it," said Pappenheimer. Dunster's new Master also has plans to have members of the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study associated with the House, just as Junior Fellows are now affiliated.