High-Flying Crimson Baseballers Clash With Penn, Cornell Nines

By Steven V. Roberts

Off to a flying start in early season games the varsity baseball team will open its Eastern Intercollegiate Bass-ball League schedule against Penn in Philadelphia this afternoon. Tomorrow the Crimson will travel to Ithaca to meet Cornell.

The Crimson has won six of seven games but coach Norm Shepard insists "We'll have to scramble to finish over ." The Eastern League, which includes the Ivies and the service academic is stocked with powerful teams this year. But it would be hasty to discount the Crimson too early.

Vital to Harvard fortunes is the pitching staff. Sophomore Paul Del Kossi who has won all three of his starts and allowed earned runs per game, will pitch today against the Quakers. Del Rosel mixes his stuff well, and changes speeds with devastating effectiveness.

Either Dick Garibaldi (1-0) or Al (2-0) will go against Cornell. Sophomores Bill Gussetti and Bill Humenuk will be in the bullpen.

Most of the Crimson's hitting has been coming from its tight-fielding infield. Second baseman Terry Bartolet is hitting .279, first baseman Phil Bernstein .333, and shortstop Dave Morse .303. Third baseman Mike Drummey is just behind the top three at .273.

After much experimentation Shepard has settled on his top outfield. Gavin Gilmor will start in center, Curly Combs in right, and Bob St. George in left. All have been hitting well, and will have to continue if the Crimson is to be threat for the title.

Scott Harshbarger, normally a catcher, may also see action in the outfield.

Penn and Cornell finished tied for seventh in the EIBL last season, one half game behind the Crimson. The Quakers reportedly have several strong left-handed pitchers, which might present problems for Drummey, Bernstein, and Bartolet, all portsiders.