GOLFERS DEFEAT BROWN; TIGERS WIN ON 18TH HOLE

By Ronald G. Strackbein

Playing under balmy April skies, the varsity golf team split a tense golf meet saturday afternoon on the Myopia Hunt club course by beating Brown 4-3 and narrowly to Princeton 4-3.

The most exciting moments of the afternoon occurred when Harvard's number John Livingood, and Princeton's Seckel stepped up to the teeoff even-up after the first six matches had split to make the score Harvard 3 and Princeton 3. Seckel smashed his six from to within ten feet of the stick while Livingood pulled his shot slightly to the left fringe of the green about forty feet away. Livingood then took three to get down when his tricky four foot second putt failed to drop, and Seckel holed out in two for a match-winning par. Livingood, however, over-whelmed his Brown opponent 5-4.

At number two, Bruce Johnstone shot a 77 and beat Princeton 3-2, but lost to Brown's Phil Saylor whose 74 was the lowest round of the day.

Stan Abrams in the number four slot was the Crimson's only double winner defeating his Princeton man 4-3 and a Brown opponent 3-2. The remainder of the ladder split their matches with the exception of Dave Rudnick at number three.